Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fernando Pessoa, a man of disquiet

Fernando Pessoa is the most interesting writer I have ever read. In the excerpt of his book, The Book of Disquiet, there's a character who seems a little too philosophical for just an assistant book keeper. His philosophical ideas make the reader stop and think about how much the world really is like. He mentions in part 133, that all fighting seems to be just a blind force that is "like murdering with either a knife or murdering with a dagger." You know that the problem is big, but just how big, nobody can tell. In section 263, he had the most interesting topic about Tedium, where your soul is in a kind of void. This is so how my life is right now. My body is in this kind of slump with my soul being out without me. I know it's called Senioritis, but it still feels weird.
He also seems alone most of the time. I guess that if you are alone with your thoughts, then strange thoughts can come about. This made me draw back to when I was working for the summer at my mother's flooring business. There was one week that I really became alone, with no one around to be with. I spent time working on repricing some of our products. This was followed by a lot of HULU.com, YouTube, and reading a lot. The situation was that our estimator had to be out of town for the week, which means that there was no money coming into the place. There were some days where I felt I should just have the store closed until he came back. But I persisted, and found that things got better as soon as he returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment